OverOps is a platform for software reliability which has the ability to integrate with other tools used through the software development lifecycle such as tools for CI/CD, Bug tracking, Alerting, Reporting, Log Management and importantly APM tools such as AppDynamics.
Why link AppDynamics with OverOps
AppDynamics is a leading APM (Application Performance Management) tool which monitors the performance of your applications in production and can also give visibility into the errors and exceptions that your application is throwing. AppDynamics is very good at giving you the error context such as which business transactions and which users were affected. AppDynamics can also show the error message or stack trace but often those aren't enough for a developer to diagnose the root cause of the problem without having to spend time in a pre-production environment attempting to reproduce the issue.
In a pre-production environment, a developer can fire up a debugger and step through the source code to see the variables and their states. But often reproducing a problem can be hard, or even impossible, as you don't know the exact input variables that occurred in the production environment that led to the error.
OverOps gives you the exact source code and variable states that were used at the moment when the error occurred in any environment including production. This means you no longer have to spend a long time trying to reproduce it and can move straight to the fix.
OK lets see it in action
AppDynamics users can click through via a link that will take them to an OverOps screen showing the exact source code and variable states that were used in production at the time of an error.
To see the integration in action watch this short video.
OverOps during Continuous Integration
OverOps can also be used as a code quality gate for your CI Pipeline.
- Stop bad code being promoted by flagging the build as unstable
- See our short video showing Jenkins and OverOps in action.
- We also have an integration with Teamcity about to be released.
- For other CI tools please get in touch and we would be happy to work with you on the integration.
- Please download our free white paper below.
OverOps dashboards give you and objective score for every release to evaluate code reliability across the entire software delivery life cycle.
- You can prioritise issues based on their impact to focus which one needs to be addressed first.
- Track quality trends daily to assess overall reliability of each sprint.
- Find out more about how OverOps Reliability Dashboards Deepen Code-Level Visibility Across the Entire SDLC.
Other OverOps Integrations
OverOps can integrate with many other tools within your development lifecycle:
- APM tools - such as AppDynamics, Dynatrace, New Relic and others.
- Log monitoring tools - such as Splunk, SumoLogic, ELK
- CI/CD tools - such as Jenkins and Teamcity.
- OverOps can also post notifications of new errors to JIRA, Slack, HipChat, PagerDuty or ServiceNow.
If you'd like to read up more on techniques for addressing java problems, then check out our e-book :